I see myself as having pretty good taste in music. However, for as long as I've chosen music on my own to listen to, I have made somewhat random choices. For instance, I was discovering and listening to REM at the same time still listening to Debbie Gibson and NKOTB. While I don't generally like most of the 'popular' music on the radio, I tend to always 'allow' myself at least one guilty pleasure song at a time to love and listen to obsessively.
I think this really accelerated when I was living in Ireland and loved the fact that radio stations there played such a random mix of music- U2 one minute, the Outkast, then some cheesy all-girl British group. I really got into some of these British pop singers (I watched the original show that inspired American Idol), and so now I tend to gravitate towards British pop artists that are played here. I am totally obsessed with Leona Lewis's song "Bleeding Love" (you must listen to it, if you have not heard it before) and bought it on itunes recently. I only buy the one song, which is the great thing about itunes. I am also loving Natasha Bedingfield's new song, "Pocket Full of Sunshine" (adding of course to the 2 songs that I already own). These are the songs I make playlists with to help pump me up when I am writing a paper (and this tends to be when I make those impulsive purchases on itunes:)
This is all to Matt's chagrin, since we now keep all of our music together on my new Mac....This is why he manually adds songs to his ipod - so he doesn't have "Sexy Back" on his ipod and ruin his music cred:) However, I get great pleasure that one of my guilty pleasure artists Kate Nash is now on Matt's ipod and he likes her! Matt introduces me to a lot of new music (most of which I like), even though I feel like I had good taste before I met him and I refuse to like something just because he does:)
I should add, just to up my music cred, that there are lots of new good albums out by less radio-popular artists...Old 97s, REM, Kathleen Edwards, Decemberists, Radiohead...if you're looking for new music to get into.
No comments:
Post a Comment