It is definitely time for an update. What I'm doing these days is hard to sum up quickly when people ask me, "So, how are things going with your prospectus?" Let me break it all down, for those that are interested. The prospectus is the 'proposal' of what my research will be- it's the first 3 chapters of a 5 chapter dissertation. One must write and defend this to a dissertation committee before passing and being allowed to start collecting your data (and then, writing and defending your dissertation).
So...I've been 'working on' my prospectus for a year now. What I am planning to study has changed shape a little and with this new job I started in August, I wasn't able to pull it together last fall like I wanted to. So, the plan is now to defend it in March, before the spring deadline passes (you have to defend it before a certain date in the semester to be considered a "doctoral candidate" at the end of that semester). I WANT to be a doctoral candidate at the end of this semester!
To do this....First, I had to get the best draft possible approved by my adviser by the end of January. Check. Then, after a few suggested changes, I had to immediately turn around and send it to the other 3 members of my committee asap to give them time to read it and either give me suggestions for changes or approve it to defend. I have to submit the paperwork and final draft at least 10 working days before I defend it in March. So...that's about 2 weeks from now. I sent it to my committee Friday and am hoping to defend it March 10-13...
Hope that helps. Will keep you updated. But, to sum up:
1. Yes, the prospectus is basically done as of today (but is still open for changes/approval.
2. It's not over. I now have to put together my presentation so that I can successfully defend this in March. Prayers and well wishes appreciated!
Other than that, work is keeping me busier than I expected, mostly because school systems are experiencing a lot of issues these days and so now my biggest stress is securing placements for our students in schools. Students are worried about finding jobs when they graduate and I cannot blame them. Teaching used to be a 'safe' career but it's not looking great.
Other than that, In the last few weeks, we've enjoyed a wonderful visit with Matt's mom, a nice couple's wedding shower and baby shower for friends, and a 1st birthday party for the beautiful Isabelle.
Hope you are well..
K
No comments:
Post a Comment