So sad...
On Tuesday, we decided to go snorkeling at the local beaches on the North Shore. On the way, we stopped at Ted’s Bakery, a pretty famous North Shore spot for yummy pastries and other food. They have a famous coconut chocolate pie, which Matt ate for breakfast:) Then, we headed to Sunset Beach nearby to snorkel in Shark’s Cove, the best snorkeling spot in the area, and we spent a couple of hours exploring that area. It was so much fun! I saw the coolest, brightest, and biggest fish I had ever been that close to.
Afterwards, we headed just down the road to the Waimea Bay, an absolutely gorgeous beach area, to hang out and snorkel a bit more. We then had lunch at a truck place (not sure what else to call it, the experience was cooler than the description)- sitting outside and enjoying the weather and the view of the ocean. I had a chicken and veggie kabob, with a salad and the two scoops of white rice that seem to very popular in Hawaii. Another one of my favorite parts of Hawaii was how we ate almost every meal outside. The weather was so awesome- hot and sunny but there was always a breeze.
Then, we headed back to Turtle Bay to relax by the pool and enjoy our favorite smoothies they made at the pool bar (Just for the record- my flavor was mango-banana). We had dinner at another one of the resort’s more casual place and ate pizza…and yes, it was actually Hawaiian pizza!
Wednesday was our last full day in Hawaii, which means we had to keep telling ourselves not to be depressed and enjoy the last day. We ate at Ted’s Bakery again, then headed to a Waimea Valley Reserve park, which is a beautiful natural park with lots of history and information about the area. We walked to a waterfall where scenes from 'Lost' have been filmed (They actually film Lost on the North Shore, and although I was on the lookout for Matthew Fox, I don't think they were filming yet). We had hoped to swim in the waterfall area, but they have had a drought so it was closed for swimming. It was a really nice place to walk around and see local flowers and trees. Another cool thing about Hawaii is that there were chickens and roosters just walking around everywhere...and they were more colorful than your average birds. There was also a gorgeous peacock there as well that was very friendly (pictured here).
We headed into Haleiwa again, to do a little shopping and ate lunch at Kono’s- an awesome breakfast and lunch place that is supposedly popular with surfers, where we both had some of the best pork ever. We also stopped by another shaved ice shop and found that shaved ice pretty much tastes the same no matter where you get it (but I could still eat it every day!) For rest of the day, we hung out at the beach and the pool at the resort. They had some dancers from the local Polynesian Cultural Center demonstrate some different dances by the pool, which was cool. We were both tired and needed to pack (plus we had some leftovers from previous dinners), so we decided to order a couple of things from room service to supplement that.
Thursday, we took one last look and listen to our amazing ocean sounds and view, walked around the resort for a bit, and left mid-day to head to L.A……We were so sad but so grateful that we got to spend almost a week there to celebrate our first year! As I'm writing this, I'm trying to remind myself to remember those amazing days in the midst of the craziness I'm feeling right now with school....like my friend Sonia said, maybe I need to get some coconut lotion and just sniff it whenever I need a pick me up!....or maybe a coconut candle for my office?
Next up- Our trip to CA!
No comments:
Post a Comment